When people think about going to the dentist, they typically associate it with simple teeth cleaning or filling cavities. However, there is an important dental procedure that often goes overlooked: teeth scaling. Teeth scaling, otherwise known as deep teeth cleaning, is crucial for maintaining good oral hygiene and preventing gum disease. Without proper care, gum disease can lead to tooth loss and even affect other parts of the body, such as the heart and lungs. Despite its importance, teeth scaling is something that people often neglect or forget about. Therefore, it is essential to make regular dental check-ups a priority and discuss with our dentists the best ways to maintain proper dental care, including teeth scaling in Lynbrook, NY.
What Is Deep Teeth Scaling?
Regular dental cleanings play an important role in maintaining good oral health by eliminating plaque and tartar from the teeth at and above the gum line. However, for patients with gum disease, deep scale cleaning, also known as deep teeth cleaning, is crucial. It’s important to see your dentist in Long Island regularly for teeth scaling near you.
During this process, your local dentist or hygienist removes plaque and tartar from the pocket area that forms between the teeth and gums. This procedure aims to halt the progression of gum disease, which can cause tooth loss. Scaling employs special techniques to eliminate plaque and tartar below the gum line, reaching down to the tooth roots.
Research has demonstrated that this non-surgical treatment is highly effective in putting gum disease into remission. Therefore, while routine dental cleanings are recommended for most patients every six months, teeth scaling is indispensable for patients with gum disease to maintain optimal oral health and prevent tooth loss.
Deep Teeth Cleaning – Who Needs It?
While deep cleaning may not be necessary for everyone, the longer you go without a dental check-up, the greater the likelihood that you will require this procedure. Without a comprehensive deep cleaning, you may experience more severe consequences.
Certain characteristics or conditions make you a candidate for teeth scaling, such as:
- Diabetes, as fighting infections may be more challenging.
- Males, because they are more likely to develop diseases in their 30s or 40s.
- Smokers, have reduced circulation, making it harder to fight off infections.
- Females going through hormonal changes, such as during puberty, pregnancy, or menopause, may also benefit from deep scale cleaning.
- If you have a family history of gum concerns or have been diagnosed with cancer or AIDS, dental scaling may be recommended.
- Additionally, if you take medication that causes dry mouth, saliva, which helps bathe and clean teeth, is reduced, making teeth scaling necessary.
Benefits of Deep Scale Cleaning
Periodontal disease is an infection caused by the buildup of plaque and tartar on and below your gums. While brushing your teeth can remove some plaque, it is impossible to remove it all. This is why it’s essential to visit your dentist twice a year for professional cleanings. If you’ve been diagnosed with periodontal disease, attending regular teeth scaling appointments is crucial. Deep teeth cleaning, also known as deep teeth scaling, is an essential part of treating periodontal disease, much like taking medication or insulin for diabetes. Here are a few of the benefits of receiving regular deep teeth cleanings for those with periodontal disease:
- Stops the Progression of Periodontal Disease – With no plaque or tartar below your gumline, your gum infection can’t advance in stages.
- Helps Treat Current Infection – After a deep cleaning procedure, practicing your oral hygiene routine can help your gum disease treatment do its job.
- Promotes Healing – Tartar bacteria irritate your gums, but with it removed, your gums can slowly reattach to your tooth roots.
- Eliminates Bad Breath – Plaque is a sticky residue that collects on teeth when food is mixed with saliva, promoting bad breath and cavities.
- Protects Your Roots and Jawbones – Your gums are the protective armor for your roots and jawbone! When gums become infected, they’ll start to peel away, exposing your roots and eventually your jawbones to damage. Regular deep teeth cleaning can prevent this from happening.
Think You Need Teeth Scaling in Long Island? See What Our Clients Say
“Dr. Zoya was so amazing! She was very good at explaining everything and was so gentle with the entire process of filling AND cleaning. There was no wait and the entire staff was so kind and patient. Def will recommend to family and friends! Plus they’re open on sundays!!”
By: Alisha S.
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Check out our 4.8 rating and read more of our 115+ reviews on Google!
Contact Art of Dentistry For Teeth Scaling Near You
If you are experiencing symptoms of gum disease, such as bleeding gums, bad breath, or loose teeth, it’s time to take action and prioritize your dental health. Contact Art of Dentistry to schedule a teeth scaling appointment today. Our skilled dental team uses the latest techniques and technology to provide gentle and effective deep cleanings, helping you achieve a healthy, confident smile. Don’t wait until it’s too late – take the first step towards better oral health by scheduling teeth scaling in Lynbrook, NY today.